ESG Law is the first law firm in the world that is exclusively dedicated to esports. We represent industry-leading esports teams, talent, and institutions—our clients compete on the world stage in every major esports title, cast and host the premiere esports events, stream to millions, and operate businesses that push the envelope of the esports industry in betting, content creation, brand representation, merchandising, and more.
The attorneys at ESG Law go beyond the typical attorney‑client relationship. Woven into the fabric of the esports ecosystem and deeply invested in its future growth, we are not simple service providers; we are engaged citizens of the esports community that create legal solutions to a constantly evolving set of challenges. Our unmatched level of engagement with the industry we serve allows us to offer unique insights into our client’s plans and facilitate connections that impact not only the success of our client’s ventures, but the industry as a whole. We also serve as outside general counsel for many of our clients, managing their overarching legal needs and coordinating directly with other law firms to achieve a unified goal.
Our work spans across every major esports title, including League of Legends, CS:GO, Overwatch, Dota 2, Call of Duty, Fortnite, Rocket League, Rainbow Six Siege, PUBG, Super Smash Bros, Hearthstone, and Starcraft, and our book of business includes industry-leaders in every major category in which we work. Representative clients include:
- Teams: 100 Thieves, Cloud9, Evil Geniuses, Fnatic, G2, Team Liquid, & Team SoloMid
- Talent: Christopher "MonteCristo" Mykles, Auguste "Semmler" Massonnat, Chris Puckett, Paul "ReDeYe" Chaloner, Joedat "Voyboy" Esfahani, & Joe "MerK" DeLuca
- Institutions: Ateyo, Beyond the Summit, Esports Stadium Arlington, The Story Mob, & Unikrn
ESG Law is at the forefront of the esports industry, helping establish new norms and balancing power dynamics to support more sustainable growth. We also sit at the intersection of the esports and traditional sports industries, working with major sports teams and owners as they expand their businesses into esports. Representative Matters include:
- Reviewing, analyzing, and negotiating the charter and operational documents for the first-ever franchised esports leagues on behalf of roughly half of the admitted teams (Overwatch League, League of Legends Championship Series, League of Legends European Championship, & Call of Duty League), as well as other industry-leading competitions (Esports Championship Series, Clash Royale League, & Rainbow Six Pro League);
- Negotiating groundbreaking talent agreements on behalf of 10 of the inaugural 11 members of the OWL on-air broadcast team;
- Drafting the industry-standard player contract from scratch, which is more balanced and comprehensive than ever before;
- Drafting and negotiating industry-leading endorsement deals, including a facility naming rights deal of unprecedented size and scope;
- Representing multiple traditional sports teams in their acquisition of esports organizations, player rosters, and permanent slots in top esports leagues, including the Golden State Warriors, Kroenke Sports & Entertainment (Los Angeles Rams, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche, and Arsenal), Minnesota Vikings, and the Philadelphia 76ers.
- Preparing and filing visa petitions for esports players, on-air talent, coaches, and other esports staff, including helping to secure the first ever EB-1A visa (Green Card) for an active player in the industry's history; and
- Overseeing the development and launch of a decentralized ERC20 token on the Ethereum Blockchain for the most successful token sale of an esports-focused company.